December 14, 2021
TIPS FOR TALKING ABOUT ESTATE PLANNING WITH FAMILY MEMBERS OR FRIENDS
Talking to family about Estate Planning can be anxiety inducing. Many put it off for years and not until an inciting event occurs, does the topic get broached.
Here are some tips to talk to family members about Estate Planning:
- Involve other important family members/friends (eg. Siblings)
- Be transparent about why it’s important: Honesty, openness, and inclusivity are key. Speak your concerns and be ready to listen, too!
- Empower the family: You are taking control of the future together, as much as is possible.
- Find a reason to talk about it: Whether a neighbor just went through Probate or a friend just recently fell ill, there are always reasons to discuss.
- Be patient! Sometimes it takes more than one conversation and that’s ok.
- Have resources on hand: do your homework and have an estate planning attorney researched in their area that you can recommend to them.
While you can only move as fast as the person in need is willing, try these tips to get the conversation started. Having an Estate Plan is truly an act of love and helping someone set one up is as well. They may be difficult talks, but the peace it can bring is priceless.